Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sheet mulching

I visited my parents for Mother's Day weekend. They have a corner of their yard that has been taken over by weeds. They grow long like vines, and re-root wherever they touch down into dirt. I volunteered to sheet mulch the area for them. They had never heard of this technique but were thrilled that I was going to take care of the problem for them.

Pre-mulching. They had a thin layer of wood chips down but the weeds were all over it. I left the wood chips there instead of raking them out and reusing them because I was afraid that some of the weeds would get transferred and re-root.

Cardboard placed and soaked with water to keep it down. I used up all of the pieces of large cardboard, chicken feed bags, and bulk flour bags I'd been saving up for my future homestead.

New wood chips put over top. 5 bags measuring 2 cubic feet each just barely managed to cover the area.

Cross your fingers that the weeds don't escape out the sides. At least they'll be easier to stay on top of from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment