Wednesday, May 25, 2016

End of spinning class, trying different wheels

I was sad to give the Ashford Joy back to Purlescence Yarns at the end of class. I had spent as much time as I could during the final week spinning up all the roving I had. I finished the blue/purple/pink/green one, and started on this beautiful pink/purple/yellow roving with silver silk mixed in:
This was the final result from that week:
I'm going to set them as singles. Not sure what I'll use them for yet.

I still have nearly all of that pink roving (I call it "My Little Pony" colored). There's a local yarn shop that has a spinning circle once a month, and I can use one of their wheels for $15. I might also put out a call in local craft groups to see if someone has a wheel I could drop in and use once a week.

I am seriously considering buying one of my own wheels. I went into the last week of class thinking I wouldn't because they're so expensive and you can buy so much yarn pre-made. But we spent the last lesson trying out all kinds of wheels in the store. I hadn't realized just how well the Ashford Joy had fit me until I tried multiple other wheels. I was very lucky to be able to use it for 3 out of 5 weeks between classes.

I was tempted by some adorable, teeny tiny travel wheels, but found the single drive to be uncomfortable:
I also found that pedals in which the pivot point was at the very back were more comfortable than those with a pivot point a few inches forward. I was not interested in a full sized traditional wheel, just due to the amount of floor space they take up. After relaying this information to the instructors, they plunked down a Louet S95 Victoria for me:
I was in LOVE! It was totally comfortable, so tiny and folded up yet more, and it was aesthetically pleasing. It comes with a travel bag/backpack so it's easy to take anywhere. Of course the folding wheels are quite expensive ($800). But I started to seriously consider it.

And then, I laid eyes on the Kromski Fantasia:
With the poor lighting and background, these photos really don't do this wheel justice. It is GORGEOUS. A wheel this beautiful calls out to you to spin on it. You don't put it away in a spare room - you keep it out as a piece of art to impress visitors.

Because it doesn't fold up, the Fantasia is actually cheaper than the Victoria - only $525 for walnut coloring and clear accent. (Or $399 for unfinished wood, for a custom paint job.) You can buy faster ratio whorls and a jumbo flier.

I'm not totally sure I should buy a wheel. I'm leaning heavily toward it because of the possibility of having ultimate control over the yarn I use. I enjoyed spinning, so it wouldn't be an annoying process I have to go through just to get the final product. You get a lot of bang for your buck when buying roving, especially if you spin lace weight singles (which I'm close to doing). And if I spent more time spinning rather than just crocheting, I wouldn't be buying finished yarns at such a fast pace! The final pro of buying a wheel is that they retain their market value very well, so it wouldn't be a big loss if 6-12 months later I decided to rehome it. Purlescence even sells wheels on consignment.

I'm about to go on a two week vacation, so I will ponder the question while I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment