Tuesday, May 10, 2016

New wheel, plying 2 singles

Some of us switched wheels last week. I had been happy with the Ashford Traveller, but I wanted to gain experience with different wheels. This week I used the more compact, folding Ashford Joy. At first I had a lot of trouble getting the tension right for both the wheel and the bobbin, and spent a frustrating hour trying to get the roving to attach to the leader yarn and promptly losing it. Finally, once the settings were right, things settled down.

Meanwhile, in class last week, we learned how to ply two singles together.
This was a combination of the white roving we received at the start of class and the blue, purple, pink, and turquoise roving I purchased. As I was spinning the colored one, I had carefully separated out the colors so that the yarn would switch in a predictable pattern. The result was a fun color-changing yarn. I definitely want to make something out of my homemade 2-ply yarn!

No comments:

Post a Comment