Friday, May 6, 2016

Roast chickens

Anna Hess' book The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency includes a recipe for roasting a whole chicken. I was excited to try it out. It requires you to stay by the stove and frequently pull the chicken out to baste it, but it's extremely easy and I appreciate not needing to cut up the chicken and cook the pieces separately.

I purchased a whole organic chicken, small yellow potatoes, and gave it a go.
It came out absolutely delicious! I ended up with too much butter and oil accumulating at the bottom of the pan due to using a spoon instead of a real baster, but otherwise it made 6-7 servings and was absolutely worth the cooking time.

This weekend I'm visiting my parents to celebrate Mother's Day, and surprised them by bringing and roasting another chicken. I used my mom's baster and this time the potatoes came out crispy. A little too crispy, actually, as my dad was late for dinner and I left the pan in the warm oven so the chicken wouldn't get cold, and the potatoes kept cooking. We joked that I had made chips. I included garlic and fresh rosemary from my yard. Everyone was happy with the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment