Thursday, February 19, 2015

Raised veggie/fruit bed

I decided to move most of the edible plants I was growing in separate containers into one raised bed. The increase in usable space was tremendous, and of course nearly all of it is planted in already. I filled most of the bed with a combination of mulch and the old soil from the containers, but I splurged on healthy, high quality soil for the top few inches. I also purchased straw to use as mulch over the top. Every day more seeds are sprouting and the baby plants are taller!

Collards, garlic, dill, kale. So many green veggies/herbs!
Kale and a ton of radishes. I got tired of carefully spacing seeds toward the end, so I just took a big handful of radish seeds and tossed them across the straw. Now they're popping up everywhere and I have to thin them!
The biggest strawberry plant has suddenly produced six flowers!
The peas, which had been already growing in this spot in containers, did not like the transfer. Most of them died. However I planted new seeds that are already a few inches tall, so they'll be catching up in no time.
The total list of plants in this bed: 2 types of kale, collard greens, parsley, dill, peas, garlic, cucumber, carrots, scallions, chives, radishes, winter purslane, spinach, strawberry. Most of them are for myself, but the chicks will probably get most of the radishes and collard. I don't even know why I tossed out so many radish seeds - I can barely make myself eat them. After I harvest this generation, I'll toss out scallion or spinach seeds instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment