Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Making myself cook

A hungry friend came over on Saturday. I told him to help himself to anything in the fridge. He opened the fridge to find it almost completely empty - his options were limited to eggs or cheese sandwiches. That reminded me that I was once again due to set aside an evening for cooking.

I'm trying to learn to cook a greater variety of meals. It's a chore. But I managed to cook rice (will be used for chicken friend rice tomorrow), a lemon custard, a large quantity of garlic and parsley bread (most went into the freezer), and banana bread (my first try - it came out good, but not great).

I forgot to post last month about cooking mushroom quinoa pilaf as well as roast rabbit for the first time. They both were also in the category of "pretty good, but not great." I'll keep trying with those.

A couple of weeks ago, I spontaneously purchased a passion fruit and a horned melon at my grocery store. I'm always curious about the foods that I've never even seen before, and fruit seems like a safe bet, since you're usually not expected to cook it.

The inside of the passion fruit had only a small amount of liquid. It was mostly a dense pulp holding a large number of seeds together. It was as sour as a lemon, but had a sweeter undertone. If I had run it through a blender, it probably would have made a good substitute for the lemons in lemonade.

The horned melon had a very cool looking, dense geometry of seeds and bright green pulp. It also turned out to have a sour flavor! I ate half, but couldn't manage any more. It would be an interesting addition to a fruity dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment