Friday, February 20, 2015

Three tiny chicks

I picked up the first three chicks this morning! The other three will be arriving in March.

This was one of the bins of chicks at Pollinate. "Take your pick!" said Birgitt. But they look identical! But I did end up favoring an Ameraucana with a darker stripe down the back and a darker red Rhode Island Red. The two pale ones in this bin are Buff Orpingtons - popular layers, but did not make my list.

The Black Australorp is my favorite so far. She is the most quiet and comfortable with me. She also likes to cuddle up close to the others when sleeping. However I saw her getting pushed away from the water by the Red and from the food by the Ameraucana. Her docile personality might make her the lowest hen in the pecking order.




On the other side of the spectrum, the Rhode Island Red is the most active and does not like being held. She pecks at the other two the most.




The Ameraucana is so cute with her chipmunk striping. Her comfort with me and energy level are at a pleasant middle between the other two. She is by far the most vocal! She is also a tad larger - perhaps a day or two older?




They tend to hang out together.

Lunch time...
And then naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment