Monday, February 23, 2015

Chicks can't get no breaks

The chicks are currently living in their cardboard box in my bathroom, and of course I keep the door closed so that my own cat and dog can't get to them. But apparently this morning I didn't latch the door properly. I was in the kitchen and heard oddly loud cheeping. I dropped what I was doing and ran into the bedroom to find Jasper standing next to my bed with the Rhode Island Red in his mouth. I yelled (a very loud, dramatic "NOOOOO!!!!"), grabbed Jasper by the scruff, and scooped up the Red as he dropped her.

A quick examination revealed nothing but a couple of wet spots around her neck. When I returned her to the box, she immediately resumed her usual scratching and pecking activity.

I handled the death of the first Ameraucana with calm pragmatism. These things happen. But being responsible for a second tiny chick dying by cat would have been too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment