Wednesday, October 24, 2018

First real handspun yarn!

It took a few years, but I did it! I spun an entire 4 oz braid. It's sometimes under or over plied, and the weight varies between lace and super thin cobweb, but I did it! I'm super proud of myself. Here is what the roving looked like:


Here it is being spun up:
Wound onto the niddy noddy:

Setting:

And voila!

It's really hard to capture the colors just right on the finished yarn. It's so pretty in person. I plan to make a lacy shawl from it. (It's 763 yards.)

I had initially planned to do a 3 ply, but I didn't like the way that looked. You couldn't see the variation between yellow and pink and purple as well. So after a quick test, I ditched that plan and decided to leave it as a single.



My next spinning project will be a super fluffy targhee braid, which should actually be much easier for a beginner compared to merino and silk! I'm looking forward to it. I've blocked off time in my calendar for the monthly spinning circle at The Black Squirrel, so I'll get it done much more quickly this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment