Saturday, September 10, 2016

Tree pruning practice

After attending the Tree Pruning Workshop, I was eager to try my hand at pruning my parents' fruit trees. Their trees had never been pruned since planting around 10 years ago. They need a lot of shaping to be done, but I learned in the workshop that one should not trim off more than 30% of the branches at a time. Some trees need to be pruned over the course of 2 years. Unfortunately, once I started, I had a hard time stopping.

Apple tree before. It had a lot of crossing branches and water spouts.

After - problems removed, but I cut more than 30%!

Little lemon tree after (I forgot to take a before shot) - I stopped myself short of doing the entire tree this time.

Orange tree before - lots of dead branches, and all the branches are long and hanging down with the weight of leaves and fruit.

Orange tree after - still needs a lot of work next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment