Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pajama pants

Five weeks ago, I started a Sewing 101 class at Stonemountain and Daughter Fabrics in Berkeley. We had a small selection of beginner projects to choose from, and coincidentally, almost everyone chose the same pajama pant pattern. I bought a very thick and soft flannel for my own pants. It took longer than I expected to complete them - the instructor took us through all the details of ironing the fabric and the pattern, selecting which size to cut, lining it up along the grain of the fabric, putting the pieces together, carefully sewing and serging, putting in an elastic waistband, and hemming the bottom.

The pattern has too much fabric along the crotch and is baggy on me even for PJs, but I was pretty much expecting that on my petite frame. Otherwise, I'm happy with it. I already wore the pants once but of course they are way too warm for this time of year! So back in the closet they go for five months.

Here is the pattern I used: Kwik Sew K3602.

I used size M, but I had to shorten both the top and the bottom of the pants for them to be the right height.

I purposely hemmed them short at the bottom because I prefer them to be well off the ground when I'm going out in the yard in the morning and evening and it's dark and there is dog poop. Plus I like my pants to be short enough that the bottom doesn't get caught in the tongue of my tennis shoes.

The pattern didn't have pockets but the instructor helped me insert them. Since the flannel is bulky, I used scrap pieces of cotton fabric - a different one for each pocket.



Here's the nicely-sewn waistband.

I used a serger for the first time!

Since the front and back look similar, the instructor had us attach little tags to the back. She sent some scrap fabric through the serger to make thin, colorful strips. I love the idea! I feel like I should find a fabric that I identify with and keep serged strips around for all the clothes I'll make in the future. It's a pretty, personal touch.

There is one more class meeting to go before the session ends. I'll be starting work on an apron, so that I no longer get flour all over my shirt when I'm making bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment