Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Homegrown potatoes

I was ridiculously excited to dig up the potato plants last week! Of course I took pictures of the adventure!

The tubers are ready when the plants above are dying back.

The first potato comes into sight!

Whee! This plant was the largest, and had the most taters.

Most of them were this size or smaller.

These are the remains of the seed potato that brought this plant to life.

The entire harvest. Yeah, it's a tiny garden.

I saved the two largest ones to replant this weekend. Since we still have plenty of sunshine and warm weather ahead of us, I'm hoping there'll be time for a second harvest. (Ah, California!)

The rest of them I boiled with a bit of salt. I ate a few straight out of the pot, and the rest will be going down with borscht.

I'm thinking that I'll replace some of my containers with a raised bed before I start planting for the fall. It'll give me significantly more planting room within the same square footage in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment