Thursday, December 5, 2013

First meal from my garden, and compost progress

A delicious milestone: I cut the spinach leaves and ate them with pasta and a little olive oil and spices. There's one more portion left for tomorrow. I actually should have harvested the spinach a couple weeks ago, before I left for vacation. But even if the food doesn't come out perfect, it's still so satisfying to eat something you grew yourself!

The scallions (the skinny stalks growing between the spinach) will hopefully be ready soon, too. In the next planter over, the parsley and dill are looking healthy and delicious as well.


I was eager to open the compost bin and see the worms' progress while I was gone. I was blown away -- nearly everything in the bin is already broken down into dirt. Only the bigger and more recent additions are still whole. It smells earthy and good and soon I will sprinkle the finished compost into the potted fuschia and fern.

No comments:

Post a Comment