Sunday, October 13, 2013

Quick veggie garden update

The scallions are growing well, and the peas are shooting up skyward. The dill, parsley, and spinach are growing slowly. The two cucumber plants, unfortunately, are drying up. I believe that the nights have gotten too cold for them - we were expecting the weather to stay warmer for a while yet.

The compost bin accumulated enough green stuff (food scraps and fresh young leaves) that I was able to add a second layer of brown stuff (crumbled, dry leaves). I didn't find the smell of the food scraps bothersome until my housemate started adding her coffee grounds. However the coffee is very good in compost, and the worms will love it, so I put up with it. I haven't gotten the worms yet because there is a worm shortage in our area - wasn't expecting that!

No comments:

Post a Comment