Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Compost bin ready!

My plan came together mostly without any hitches. Meet the fancy new compost bin:
I bought two storage bins and punched holes in them for air flow. The bottom bin has a clear plastic door on one side which allows you access the contents without unstacking the bins. That is perfect because the finished compost will be sifting into it from above!
I cut out the bottom of the top bin and replace it with a metal mesh. The hitch was that I had planned to secure it with a staple gun, but my gun was not cooperating, so I resorted to duct tape instead (as one often does).
I excitedly filled the bottom with a layer of "brown stuff" (crumbled dead leaves), and then started the first layer of "green stuff" (food waste and some fresh leaves).

I still need to acquire worms, since the store did not have them in stock. After that, it's just adding, mixing, and watering!

No comments:

Post a Comment