Monday, May 9, 2022

2021 peepers

These peepers were hatched on April 5th. I put them into a tub in my backyard for the first few weeks, and gave them as much handling as I had time for. My goal was to raise chickens that would be more comfortable with my presence - and maybe even getting picked up - than most of my chickens. The ones that were raised by the former Buff Orpington hen (rest in peace) are rather flighty.

I picked up 10, though one (the buff Silkie) died a few days later (as they do). One of them - the unlabeled chick in three photos toward the bottom - was a mystery chick that arrived with the Silkies. Someone online identified it as a Green Queen with Silkie blood. I really hope that it's a female, as I would love another shade of green/blue eggs, even if they're tiny.

Speaking of colors, three of these ladies (Barnevelder, Cuckoo Maran, and Welsummer), will lay dark brown eggs, which I don't currently get. Taste the rainbow.










Mystery chick

Mystery chick

Mystery chick
Rhode Island Red getting cuddles

Cuckoo Maran getting cuddles

No comments:

Post a Comment