Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Third litter of baby rabbits

Ten kits were born on 12/12/18! For the first few days, all ten looked healthy and fed, though three were a bit smaller than the rest. Then one of the smaller kits was clearly getting pushed away by the rest. I didn't see the early signs because it was on days that I was extra busy and didn't do individual checks. Once I saw him, I tried forced feeding (holding the doe on her back and placing the kit on her belly), but he didn't suckle enough to get milk out. So I brought the five largest kits indoors for the night and left the other half to eat with less competition. This morning, the healthy four had extra large bellies but the runt had passed away. (My dog got to eat the runt with her breakfast. Circle of life.)

There are more fur colors in this litter! One pale red or light brown:
Two white:

Two medium brown/agouti:

And the others are black or close to it. Pictures taken at five days old.

No comments:

Post a Comment