Saturday, September 22, 2018

New Rhode Island Red hen

A friend had one remaining Rhode Island Red hen in her flock, and gave her to me since chickens don't like to live alone. She integrated into the flock very easily. I have not seen any signs of her being bullied and she hangs out right amongst the other birds.

new Rhode Island Red
Silver Laced Wyandotte

Blue Laced Wyandotte
Blue Cochin (rooster) and Black Australorp
Black Australorp
The Black Australorp has always been the most fearless chicken, but since I nursed her back to health last month, she's almost become a nuisance with how close she gets under my feet. Of course I reward the behavior with extra tidbits for her. She's always been my favorite.

I gave them a fresh bale of straw the other day. I can't believe I used to carefully spread the straw out for them. Now I drop chunks down here and there and let their natural scratching and foraging behavior spread it. I probably could even dispense with the chunks and just leave the whole bale in their pen, and they'd end up spreading it evenly.




No comments:

Post a Comment