Friday, February 16, 2018

Opera dress

Back in 2014, a couple of my friends alerted me to the SF Opera's upcoming costume sale. I went on a whim, not realizing how special this was. The opera rarely has these sales - this was only their 5th one in their 90 year history! The sale was located in a huge warehouse. One corner was roped off and displayed their more expensive pieces, mostly fancy gowns. Which of course drew me right away. I have always wanted to own a ballgown. My mother, who is supportive yet practical, had asked me on previous occasions: where would I wear a ballgown to if I did shell out the money for one? Which was a very good question, as I've spent most of my life as a recluse. But that day, I saw this dress on sale for a song, and I couldn't resist:



Unsurprisingly, the gown then spent 3 years in my closet. I needed to make a few alterations: shortening the skirt, taking in the shoulders, fixing up the ragged lace, replacing the ribbon in back, and sewing in bust enhancements. (It had originally been fitted for a tall, wide-shouldered buxom amazon.)

This past December, I made another spontaneous purchase: tickets to see Hamilton in San Diego. And I knew that I HAD to wear my opera dress to the show - it was in a similar style as the dresses worn by the Schuyler sisters.




I didn't get any photos in the daylight, as the show was at 8 pm. But I will definitely be wearing this dress every opportunity I get, so I'll post better pictures at some point! (And yes, Hamilton was AMAZING.)

No comments:

Post a Comment