Sunday, January 7, 2018

Successfully contained chickens, scaly leg mites

After severely cutting back their flight feathers plus hacking away at their roosting tree, I have finally convinced the bantam roosters to stay put inside their run. Burr has decided to sleep on top of the coop, but Hamilton and Laurens go inside to cuddle up with the pullets (and Lafayette, the Cuckoo Marans who has never made trouble).

Burr on top of the coop.

They are SO upset that I woke them up.
As a bonus, the old rooster who had already lived on the farm has also decided to sleep indoors, in the original coop with the older hens. He's had scaly leg mites for a long time, but I wasn't able to do anything about it earlier. He won't let me catch him during the day and he had been roosting in the pecan tree as well. This evening, I put a towel over him, bundled him up, and thoroughly coated his feet with vaseline. I'll keep it up twice a week until the signs of mites disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment