Wednesday, June 21, 2017

More sad chicken news

The Welsummer died from the heat today. I found her at 9 pm and rushed to Lowe's to buy a mister or something similar. I found a mini sprinkler that sprays a fan of water about 6" out. I also bought a headlamp and set up the sprinkler in their run as soon as I got home. I will have the farm sitter run the sprinkler all day until the temperatures are below 95 degrees.

Meanwhile, the Blue Laced Wyandotte is still broody... but decided to switch boxes and sit on a different clutch of eggs. Damn. I pulled the four abandoned ones and candled them. One was developing into an embryo and had blood veins in the yolk. Perhaps once I'm back home, I'll make her a separate pen with just one nesting box and lock her up until the chicks hatch. It would be good to get the healthy, heat-tolerant genetics of the free-range rooster into some chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment