Monday, April 17, 2017

Broody hen, moving coop

My Blue-Laced Wyandotte was pulling out all of her chest feathers. I thought this was because the girls have lice, which I've been treating with diatomaceous earth. Finally I caught her spending 24 hours in a nesting box and realized that she was just broody!

I pulled out the ceramic eggs which I had put into the boxes years ago when my first hens were figuring out where to lay. I diligently collected eggs for a few days. It would be fun to let her raise some chicks, but this is poor timing.

On Saturday morning I got up early, put the chickens into crates, and spent the day breaking down their coop and prepping my garden for moving to my new rental property. Most of the coop was easy to take apart but there were a handful of screws that were really stuck. I ended up having to ask a manly neighbor for help. He drilled through some screws and sawed through the rest. We loaded everything up into a U-Haul and drove up north. We got the coop reconstructed (fast and easy with holes pre-drilled and fresh, quality screws) and the girls inside just before sundown. They are spending this week locked up, until I join them next Saturday. I'll deconstruct their big run this week and have help lined up to put it back together on Sunday.

I still have leftover plants to move that didn't make it into the U-Haul either time- or space-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment