Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Clarifying

Last month I went on a vacation to Maui for a week with my family. Yes, the vacation was relaxing, and Maui is of course beautiful. I really enjoyed snorkeling and seeing the lovely landscapes. But I got something else out of this vacation that I hadn't been expecting, and that was a renewed sense of purpose and eagerness to return home and get back to work.

I'm already on my way toward my dream life: my dog training business is doing well, my own dog is progressing toward a successful competition career, I have chickens laying plenty of eggs, and a little garden to supplement my diet. I'm in the process of learning about meat rabbits and practicing skinning rabbits, cooking the meat, and working the hides. These are all steps along the way to my dream life. Here is what I want to do:

- Buy land - I want to buy so that I can implement long term land use strategies that will improve soil health and allow me to select for plant and animal genetics that are well suited to the micro-climate of the place I'm in. I would prefer to find land that is close to the Trivalley, but I would be willing to relocate to another area as long as I'm close to a large enough city to rebuild and sustain my business.
- Live in a tiny house - They're adorable, they encourage a simple life and time spent outdoors, they're easier to maintain than a larger home, and are easier to customize. I like the tiny houses on wheels but a small cottage on foundation would be fine, too.
- Train dogs on my own property - I could do "board and train" as well as private lessons and classes. I want to build up my reputation as a sport dog trainer, in particular. In an ideal situation, I'd have a fancy training building large enough to host small events, but in a pinch, a simple barn would do to give us a controlled training area for privates.
- Large fenced dog run - For my own dogs to run around in, and to rent out as a private dog park.
- Grow as much of my own produce as is practical.
- Raise more chickens for eggs and meat. If I have clients coming to the property, they're an easy market for extra eggs!
- Raise rabbits for meat and fur. I have plans for the fur.
- Alpacas - possibly, lower priority, but I'm considering getting alpacas for their excellent fiber. Maybe not if I end up in agricultural zone 9b.

The big thing holding me back from achieving all this? Money, of course. I feel like once I had land, all of my ideas are achievable. Not easy, of course, but achievable. So I'm doubling down on building my business and taking on clients. In the meantime, I'm researching topics like fruit and nut tree care, water catchment, soil health, rabbit care, and permaculture principles and associated techniques. And I'm putting what I can into practice.

One other aspect to consider is that it makes more sense to buy more land and pay less per acre, as the extra land can be utilized in multiple ways:
- lease land to other homesteaders and/or tiny house owners, or farmers who will take care of the land according to my principles
- private campground for rental
- use for other types of livestock (either my own or lease out pasture)
- grow extra produce and do "u pick"
- plant lumber trees for future harvest
- tree nursery
- cultivate nice area and rent out for events, weddings, parties, kids' camp, classes
- agritourism

So with this update completed, let's get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment