Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Chicken therapy

The homestead doesn't pause just because the farmer is sick. I had planned to do a deep cleaning of the coop today, but ended up just squeezing in a visit at dusk to refill the water, food, and grit, and put down a flake of straw. Yet the visit perked me up immensely.

I had anticipated that I would enjoy having chickens around to take care of - if not, I wouldn't have bothered with getting multiple heritage breeds, and would have simply gotten a flock of leghorn pullets. I underestimated just how much I would enjoy them, though! The time flies as I watch them scratching and clucking in their run. I buy them a melon or two at every run to the grocery store because it's their favorite treat. I still have a couple last upgrades to make to their coop to make their layout even better.

The older girls are possibly just two weeks from laying their first eggs. I just bought them layer feed and adult-sized grit to replace the chick-sized bags. Counting down...

No comments:

Post a Comment