Saturday, March 28, 2015

Garden update and new routines

I set up a second raised bed for shady plants along one edge of the chicken coop. I currently have arugula, a cucumber start, and seeds for various leafy greens and alliums in it. Next to the bed, I set up a potato tower (with Kennebec seed potatoes from Pollinate, as I'd heard they like shade), and a pot with lemon verbena and a gooseberry. Can't wait to get tea and fruit from the last two!

Here's a picture of a second potato tower in a sunny area:
Finally, I caved and purchased a tree mallow (Lavatera maritima) at East Bay Nursery, as it's a plant I've loved for a long time. It's a little one hanging out right by my door.




My new morning routine is to check on the raised beds, pull any weeds I find, and harvest anything that's ready.
I grab a handful of extra weeds and check on the chickens. The older girls love the weeds and I can see that they are filling up on them and eating less of the feed.




In the evening, around 9 or 10 pm, I put on a headlamp and check on the raised bed again, this time plucking slugs (and any extra weeds I come across).
I give the chickens a final check, and the Australorp eats up the slugs. (Currently the Red and Ameracauna turn up their beaks at slugs.) After a week straight, I'm finally making a dent in the weed and slug populations.





No comments:

Post a Comment